Xiong Yang ’15 Posted on October 24th, 2014 by

XIONG YANGTell us a little bit about yourself: I am currently a senior with an Art Education major.  I was born in Thailand and moved to the US in 2005. Now I live in Saint Paul, MN. Marking arts and working with young adolescents are my top two favorite things to do. Besides that, I also enjoy fishing, camping, playing piano in the chapel, hanging out with friends, playing volleyball and badminton, and cooking.

Why did you choose Education? I do believe that diversity is all around us. It includes all of us since we all have different beliefs, styles, and abilities. It is important to help students merge into the mainstream without jeopardizing the quality of education to all students. Connecting with your students and letting them share their cultural identity not only assists students to understand other cultures, it helps embed the individuals’ culture.

Student success is what drives teachers to continue teaching and learning new ways to help teacher improve their ways of teaching. I think the purpose of teaching is a way to help enhance and expand the knowledge of young individual in order for them to succeed. Teaching is also to find our your philosophy of teaching and to see if come across as being passionate about student learning in addition to your own learning. More importantly, I chose to become a teacher because I want to and know that I can make a difference.

What are your career goals or plans after graduation? My plan for after graduation is to search for jobs, specifically a teaching job. Otherwise, I am going to culinary arts school then grad school for visual arts.